Member Login

Ask-An-Expert  >  tummy tuckAbdominoplastyCompression Garment  >  Lump in upper ...


Default User Photo
Martinez, CA

Lump in upper abdomen above belly button
tummy tuckAbdominoplastyCompression Garment

Hi - I am 8 or 9 weeks post tummy tuck with diastisis repair. I developed a seroma which was drained and penrose drain was inserted which only lasted a week. A lump the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece started to develope. After the Penrose came out. fluid continued to accumulate. About a week or so later, more fluid (about 30 ml was drained and a little thinck bloodier fluid. A few days later, my upper abdomen appearred very bruised and the lump was bigger than an egg. AN attempt to drain the area resulted in quite a bit of thck ketchup like blood comeing out of a pocket. THe bruising subsided over a couple of days, but the lump remains. Currently, it is the size of an egg. It is rather like one of those hard nodular pimples people get which do not bust. THey are just painful and all you can do is to apply warm compresses. this lump does not feel like it has fluid in it. Pretty much the bruising is cuntained to the lumpy area now. I also have avery itchy rash around my waste - likely due to compression garments etc. I would like to stop wearing the compression garment, but until this lump subsides, I feel I hve no choice. In the meantime, are there any opinions of what this could be? If it cannot be drained and has to be removed, what would be an appropriate time frame. Should I wait for 3 -4 months Post OP? If I wait too long could there be other associated problems? If I have to have it surgically removed will I have to undergo another full procedure with drains and pain? or can it be removed laproscopcally? I am told it could be fat necrosis or fibrous matter from a walled off hematoma/seroma. The icthy rash from the garment is killing me.

Doctors/Professionals Only
Regular Users/Non-Professionals
  Notify me when a doctor/professional or regular member answers this question
  Notify me only when a doctor/professional answers this question
Doctor/Professional Answers (1)   


Plastic surgeon
New York, NY
United States
View My Professional Profile
January 14, 2010 8:29 AM

You should contact your surgeon immediately. (more)
Is this answer helpful? 0        0
Login to Vote

Member Comments (0)



Welcome to the Ask An Expert section of our website! Our network of board certified physicians can answer any questions that you may have regarding plastic surgery, skin care, dermatology and other conditions. Popular topics include tummy tuck, liposuction, rhinoplasty, acne scars, facelift, breast augmentation and more. This frequently asked questions section is opened to everyone and you need to set up an account with Makemeheal before you can ask your own question. This service is absolutely free and is available to those who are interested in learning more about a particular cosmetic procedure, treatment or product.

Before asking a question, we recommend you to browse through our existing collection of questions and answers to ensure that the question you want to ask have not already been answered by our highly experienced experts. This will help you save time and get an answer more quickly. When asking a new question, we recommend you to be very detailed so that our experts could formulate a more precise & professional answer.

Of course, this service is not a substitute for a doctor visit or a consultation with a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist. The answer you will find here only serve as initial directions of thoughts and not as specific instructions. You should remember that it is utterly important to consult a skilled specialist prior to scheduling any type of treatment in order to get acquainted with possible contraindications. Only a one-on-one meeting will enable your cosmetic surgeon to properly evaluate your condition, conduct examinations and explain their results.